Tuesday 14 November 2017

Andy Weir

Andy Weir has his new book out today. I loved it. I know many people will feel that with The Martian  as your first book, you can't follow that - but I think he did. 


Artemis

Amazon.com link

My review -

Artemis is the first city on the moon. The inhabitants have left behind much of the legal red-tape associated with earth and its many countries and boundaries, but even in a group of two thousand, there’ll be a few below the level of the law. Jazz Bashara is one such. She’s a smuggler and determined to get rich. Someone presents her with a way but it doesn’t go to plan.

As with Andy Weir’s much acclaimed first novel, The Martian, a great deal of this story involves ingenious problem-solving, which I found enjoyable. I also liked the up-front feistiness of the lead character, though she did keep emphasising her female characteristics, no doubt because she was written by a man who doesn’t have those. We take them for granted! The character interplay interested me and was quite thought-provoking so even though this is largely a science fiction adventure romp, it’s not shallow by any means. I’m sure there will be people who will beat the author about the head with the success of his first novel and say this isn’t as good. It’s different. Artemis was worth the wait!


Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for a review copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment