Tuesday 10 July 2018

David M Kelly

I've read and loved some of David's longer books but his short stories are new to me. I enjoyed the anthology, Dead Reckoning and Other Stories, so much I bought a separate one, Three Lives of Mary, to read straight after.



Dead Reckoning and Other Stories

Amazon.com link

My review -

The title story is excellent! A rich and arrogant man thinks he can buy his comfortable place in the afterlife. Other stories included the mutual effect of an old man and the puppy he adopts, a scientist named Murphy (Murphy’s Law) and his first contact experience, a time machine failure, another first contact story (which made me groan!) and a couple of flash fiction offerings. All were very good, totally different and made for an outstanding collection of short stories.




Three Lives of Mary

Amazon.com link

My review - 

Mary, a human woman, faced with growing old, opted, with her husband, for a cybernetic life. For many years, she as a robot and he as an enhanced space ship, have scouted for planets suitable for human habitation. This short story packs a big philosophical punch. What is it to be human? I really enjoyed getting my head around this – and around what happened to Mary and her husband later. A very interesting quick read.

No comments:

Post a Comment