Thursday 30 August 2018

Ambrose Parry

This is the first in a proposed series - so get in now!





My review -

This story is set in 19th Century Edinburgh in the infancy of anaesthesia. A young apprentice doctor and a knowledgeable housemaid who doesn’t know her place make unlikely allies on the surface, but this is going to be a formidable partnership.

It’s a slow burner in the sense that the first part of the book sets up characters and their relationships with one another. As this is the first of a proposed series, and the writing is enticing and the setting very atmospheric, this wasn’t a problem for me. I found this interesting both medically and historically and a jolly fine mystery too. A very good book indeed and I’ve already recommended it to several people.
Thanks to Netgalley for a review copy.
Please note, the Kindle price at the time of writing is over £6 but the paperback is not yet available. Experience tells me it will come down.

No comments:

Post a Comment