Thursday 15 June 2017

Jeff Vandermeer

A new author for me and a great imaginer of future worlds. If you love dystopian fiction, go for this one.


Borne

Amazon.com link

My review - 

This story takes place in an almost derelict city in the future. The Company, through experimentation and biotechnology, has produced monstrosities, including a huge bear which terrorises those still eking an existence there. Rachel, a scavenger, finds a plant-like creature in the bear’s fur and brings it home. She calls it Borne and as it grows and exhibits intelligence, she realises she loves it/him like a child of her own. Other powers are at work in the city but the existence of Borne changes the balance.

I found this book thoroughly gripping from the very first. It reminded me of science fiction stories of my younger days which were able to take me out of my own world and into one completely different, and usually far more horrific. The style was thoughtful, occasionally lyrical and always totally entertaining. Heartily recommended.


Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for a review copy of this book

No comments:

Post a Comment