Wednesday 6 September 2017

Steve Roach

I've been reading Steve's work on and off for years and his stories stay in your mind!


Animals

Amazon.com link

My review - 

I’d already read The Whaler and The Farda but bought this collection to see what other tales the author had to tell about the animal kingdom. This is no cute anthology about puppies and kittens so if that’s what you’re expecting, you’ll be disappointed. Bear in mind the author’s reputation for horror stories and you’ll be nearer the mark. Although it’s called Animals, and animals certainly feature in all the stories, the real villains in the piece seem to be ourselves. The weak link is always humanity. I very much enjoyed all these stories – in a horrid kind of way. The final story, The Ruiner, is a real roller-coaster of a tale, in which an old man creates a paradise, a garden of Eden, in the desert.


I find that many books merge into one another in my mind and after a year or so, I can’t remember what it was about, or even what I found so special about it. With Steve Roach you know you’ll never read another story like his. His work has a way of fixing itself in your mind forever. These stories are often not a comfortable read but if you want your ideas stretched and challenged, have a go. Highly recommended.


No comments:

Post a Comment