Tuesday 2 January 2018

Jodi Picoult

My first review of 2018 is a five star stunner!


Small Great Things

Amazon.com link

My review -

What a story this is! Ruth is a dedicated nurse in a baby delivery unit. As occasionally happens, a child sadly dies, but in this case, after Ruth has been forbidden to care for him. His parents are white supremacists and Ruth is the only African American nurse on the unit. The parents want to sue but the hospital throws Ruth to the dogs. She’s going to be left to take the blame and face the law suit.


This is an absolutely gripping story. It drips with unfairness. The prosecuting lawyer is black, Ruth’s lawyer is white, yet the issue of race mustn’t be mentioned in court, even though it’s blindingly obvious that it’s at the bottom of the whole situation. I have enjoyed every Jodi Picoult novel I’ve ever read but this one is up there with the best. I was totally swept away by it.

No comments:

Post a Comment