Saturday 23 August 2014

George Hamilton

George Hamilton has a very readable style and like many a good indie writer, he isn't tied down to a single genre. I always find his work thought-provoking.


The Disease

Amazon.com The Disease


My review -

This tells the story of Ludmilla, a doctor is an Eastern Bloc country and her dissident student daughter, Olga. Ludmilla is working hard to treat and inoculate people who are suffering from a worldwide plague. Her countrymen have discovered a cure but can't produce it in sufficient quantities. Perhaps a western country could do so? Olga and her student friends are determined to steal some to hand over to the West. This is a severe test of Ludmilla's loyalties. There is more to the drug than meets the eye, though, and this causes her more problems.


The story is gripping and exciting, challenging the reader's beliefs about the well-being of family versus the greater good. I felt drawn into the characters' dilemmas as the plot writhed its way to the end via several twists. I also felt that the title could convey another meaning. The dis-ease or discomfort experienced by someone wanting to do the right thing but finding that she has been lied to and the foundations of her belief and trust in her government have been shaken. A great story, well told.

2 comments:

  1. Hey I just wanted to let you know that I nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award and that I just adore your blog! All the information about the award is in this link: http://thebookwormcentral.blogspot.com/2014/08/liebster-award-bookworm-central.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Anissa. I'm glad you enjoy the blog. However, I've already been nominated but this isn't really a suitable blog. It's not a chatty one, it's just a place for my reviews.
    Thanks, all the same.

    ReplyDelete