Saturday 28 February 2015

Andrew Lawston

This is a second collection of stories from Andrew. They are never quite like anyone else's and that's partly what I love about them. He's also got a writing style that I get on with very well.


Something Nicer

Amazon.com Something Nicer

My review -

I enjoyed the author's first collection of short stories, Something Nice, so I was pleased to see that there was another volume of these off-the-wall tales. They vary in length from the short, almost knee-jerk 100-word flash fiction drabbles to longer works and the one thing they have in common is a sideways look at the world. In any collection a reader will have favourites - I have a partiality to the quick-fire drabbles - but some of the others really made me sit up. I found some odd, some a little horrific and my favourite – Bushimi: The Cat Who Wanted To Be An Art Critic - was charmingly surreal.

If you enjoy quick reads in between your longer novels, if you like to be made to think, if you want a different slant on the world, this book is for you. The writing is clear and enjoyable. It took three years for a second collection of these stories. I hope we won't have to wait so long for another book.

No comments:

Post a Comment