Wednesday 11 May 2016

Robert Bryndza

Robert Bryndza has made quite a name for comedy writing but I have so far only read his crime fiction. I resolved to remedy this and I'm glad I did.




Amazon.com

My review - 

Natalie, aged nineteen and still unsure of herself, leaves Jamie at the altar on her wedding day. Only her Hungarian-born gran supports her. Fifteen years later, they meet again. Natalie is running a theatre and has high hopes for a production of MacBeth with the starring role taken by an American TV heartthrob. Jamie opens a pop-up venue opposite with his girlfriend, Tuppence Halfpenny, a burlesque beauty with a tongue of acid.


This is only superficially the classic love story. There’s so much more going on here. Thanks to the sharp tongues of Natalie, Tuppence and the wonderful gran – a brilliant creation – I wasn’t left licking residual sugar from the inside of my mouth. Nat’s best friend Sharon seems to have everything Natalie has left behind – a husband, family, job outside the home. Is it too late for Nat? Does she even want that? Will she die alone…? This is a feel-good story with three dimensions. There’s sadness, anger, a lot of humour and wit, and some really memorable characters. I enjoyed it very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment