Friday 5 December 2014

Caspian

This is a first novel but I found it very accomplished. It's not what you think!


The Magician in the Attic

Amazon.com The Magician in the Attic

My review - 

If a young magician learning from an older mentor sounds like a Potter knock-off, you couldn’t be further from the truth. This isn’t wizardry, it’s magic as in card-tricks, disappearances, sleight of hand and escapology. Alex is given the gift of magic lessons from his mother but his teacher isn’t the person she thinks it is. He’s directed up to the top of the building and meets a man who shows him that as well as remarkable equipment, the best magician needs a stage presence and a well-structured show. He doesn’t know why this man is teaching him. We don’t find out right until the end.


This story kept me interested right the way through. I thought the insight into stage magic was a great part of the story and I loved the character of Alex. He knew he was good but he was often unsure of the motives of Francis Curlew, his teacher. So was I! Now that I know the ending I eagerly anticipate the next episode. I think it will be darker. A very good read.

No comments:

Post a Comment