Monday 8 December 2014

Jonathan Hill

Maureen's back! I am one of many people who love the Maureen series of books. They are superficially silly but always contains nuggets of observation of the human condition. This is the best yet, in my opinion.




Maureen's Christmas Carol

Amazon.com Maureen's Christmas Carol

My review -


Widow Maureen Banks is preparing to spend Christmas Day on her own in the company of chocolates, sherry and a few favourite films, in spite of a plea from her pal Louisa to join her and a few friends for lunch. On Christmas Eve, Maureen sees her late husband Roy telling her not to spend Christmas alone. He tells her she'll receive a warning from three spirits There's some of the usual silly slapstick we're used to from Maureen but this is also edgy and surreal in places. I really enjoyed spotting references to the Dickens original in this version.


Although this stands perfectly well as a story in its own right, I've enjoyed watching the Maureen series progress as the author's writing style has evolved. I feel it's very assured and has, like a good sherry, matured. I also loved the fact that, from Maureen and Louisa's rivalry there has emerged, by the end of this book, a spirit of cooperation. Look out, 2015 - they're in this together!

No comments:

Post a Comment